DATA - Durham Area Transit Authority
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I find my bus stop on the schedule?
destinations listed in the schedules are "timepoints." The timepoints
can be used as a reference to determine when the bus may get to a particular
bus stop. There are many bus stops between each timepoint. For detailed
information about bus stops, please call 485-RIDE or visit www.GoTriangle.org to
plan your next transit trip.
- When should I arrive at my stop?
- Plan to arrive at the bus stop five minutes before the scheduled departure time
on the schedule for the timepoint nearest you.
- How do I know which bus to use?
- Each route schedule has
a map and lists major destinations for each route. The destination of each
bus is displayed above the windshield and also to the left of the bus's front
door. Most DATA buses go to the Durham Station. For detailed information about bus routes, please call 485-RIDE or visit www.GoTriangle.org to plan your next transit trip.
- How do I transfer to another bus?
- If you need to take
more than one bus to complete a one-way trip, you can simply use your day pass
when you board the next bus or pay an additional fare if you paid a single
- Do I need exact change?
- No, the fare boxes accept coins and $5 bills or smaller, however, drivers cannot make change. For convenience and cost savings, you may want to consider buying 1 day, 5 day, 7 day, or 31-day passes.
- Where can I buy passes?
- One-day passes
can be purchased on the bus or at the DATA Operations Facility located at 1903 Fay Street, Durham, NC 27704. Five day, 7 day, and 30 day passes are available at the
Durham Station and at the DATA Operations Facility. Multi-day passes are not activated until first use.
- How often do the buses run?
times and frequency varies by route. Monday through Saturday, most buses run
every half hour until 6 p.m. Buses begin to run every hour after 6 p.m. until
12 midnight. On Sundays and holidays, all service is hourly. Check the
schedule for more detailed route information.
- How can I get a bus route to come to my neighborhood?
you have existing service in your neighborhood, you can request a bus stop
to be added along that route. If there is currently no service in your
neighborhood and you would like to have buses routed to your neighborhood,
you must complete request for service application. The request for service
would then have to be reviewed and approved by the DATA Board of Trustees.
- What are the days and hours of operation for DATA?
operates everyday except Christmas day. Service is available Monday - Saturday
from 5:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Sunday and holiday hours are 6:30 a.m. to 7:30
- Does DATA run on holidays?
- DATA operates every day of the year except Christmas. DATA operates on an hourly schedule from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. on New Years Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving Day. Also, service runs on its normal frequency on Christmas Even and New Years Eve, but ends at 7:30 p.m.
- Does DATA run during inclement weather?
- Yes, routes
and schedules may change based on road conditions. Tune to your local
TV or radio stations during inclement weather for further details about service
hours. You may also check the DATA website for service updates.
- How do I get a DATA ID card?
- An initial card will be issued without a waiting period if you meet the eligibility criteria. ID cards are issued at DATA Operations Facility, 1907 Fay St., Durham, NC 27704. For more information on a discount ID, call (919) 560-1535 or Relay NC at 1-800-735-2962. See the DATA ID section for more details about eligibility criteria.
- How can I advertise on DATA buses?
- Advertising on the
DATA buses is handled by Media Transit. Please contact Media Transit
for more details about pricing and space availability at 1-877-862-4414, or visit their website at www.adsonbuses.com.
- How do I apply for ACCESS Service?
- You may download an application or call (919)560-1551 to request to have an application mailed to you. The application must be certified by a health care professional as defined on the application and mailed or faxed to ACCESS. The review process usually takes 14 to 21 days from the receipt of the application.
- When can I start using the ACCESS service after my approval?
you have received the notification confirming eligibility, you may begin scheduling
trips through ACCESS immediately.
- How do I make a reservation?
- To make a reservation,
contact an ACCESS operator at (919)560-1551.
- All trips must be within the City of Durham or any location outside the
City that is within three-quarters of a mile of any fixed-route service operated
- Customer Service Representatives are available Monday - Friday from 8 a.m.
to 4:30 p.m.
- Calls must be made before 4:30 p.m. at least one day before the requested
date of the trip.
- Requests can be made up to 14 days in advance.
- Pick up times may be requested, but pick up time depending on availability.
Please remember as a public system, there is a need to accommodate many trips
throughout the day. Your actual trip time will need to fit among the other
- For example, if you request a trip for an 8:30 a.m. appointment, it is
possible that the only available trip time would drop you off at your appointment
at 7:30 a.m. Likewise, with a pickup, if you request a 4 p.m. pick-up,
it is possible that the only available time is at 5:00 p.m. An ACCESS representative
must confirm that your trip is scheduled and give you a time for pick-up
- Same day trips can be provided if space and time is available.
- ACCESS encourages reservations be made as early as possible.
- How do I know when I will be picked up?
- As part of the
scheduling process, the ACCESS representative advises riders when to expect
the van for pickup. You should know the following about pick-ups:
- You must be ready 15 minutes before to 15 minutes after your confirmed
pick-up time. So, if your confirmed pick-up time is 2 p.m., you should
expect the van to arrive between 1:45 p.m. and 2:15 p.m.
- The driver will wait 5 minutes before leaving for the next trip.
- Since we offer curb-to-curb service, riders must be able to get to the
door of the van, either by themselves or with the help of an attendant.
Upon request, the driver will assist passengers getting in and out of the
- The fare is currently $2 per one-way trip. Please have the exact fare,
drivers do not carry change.
- On open returns, the next available van will be sent with up. You
may have to wait up to one hour.
- Although there may be times when you ride a van by yourself, more often
than not, you will be sharing a ride with other passengers. Your trip will
be grouped with individuals traveling in the same area as you.
- What are the hours of operation for ACCESS?
- ACCESS is
open Monday through Saturday from 5:30 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. On Sunday and holidays,
the service is available from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. ACCESS operates
from 5:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. ACCESS
is closed on Christmas Day.
- What are the rules while riding ACCESS?
- Eating, drinking, and smoking are not allowed on the van.
- Firearms, hazardous, and flammable materials are not allowed on the van.
- A maximum of three (3) grocery size bags are allowed; drivers will assist
to the curb only.
- Children under 12 years of age who qualify to use ACCESS require adult
supervision while they travel.
- Children under 80 pounds or 8 years of age or younger, must have a certified
- There is a maximum allowable ride of 80 minutes.
- You will not always be picked up and dropped off immediately. If the driver
has other passengers to pickup or drop off along the route to your destination,
he/she will do so.
- What is the "no-show" policy?
- You must call at least one hour before your scheduled trip to
- Calls made less than one hour will be labeled a no-show.
- If you are not at the designated pick-up point at least 15 minutes before
and up to 15 minutes after the scheduled pick-up time and the van arrived
during that time, you will be charged with a no-show.
- When a trip is considered a no-show, any further trips for that
day will be cancelled by ACCESS.
- Passenger will be responsible for the fare for the no-show and
all other cancelled trip as a result of the no-show.
- Customers with a no-show will not be permitted to make any further
trips until the no-show fare is paid in full.
- Please refer to the no-show policy for more information
- How does the taxi cab program work?
- The DATA ACCESS taxicab
program provides ACCESS customers greater freedom of mobility. This program
offers ACCESS customers the option of using taxicab service for their transportation
needs at half the cost of the regular taxicab fare. ACCESS customers
can call for taxicab service during ACCESS service hours and have that service
provided shortly thereafter instead the 24 hours waiting period required by
ACCESS. Taxi cab coupons may be used during ACCESS operation hours. However,
the taxicab program does not allow ACCESS customers to travel outside the DATA
ACCESS service area.
- Who do I call about questions or concerns?
- There may
come a time when you really need to talk with someone at ACCESS. If this should
happen, don't panic, just call the: ACCESS Manager at (919)560-1555, ext 36306.
The manager will gladly assist you with any questions or concerns you may have.